From: "Newark, the City of Industry" Published by the Newark Board of Trade 1912
The American Insurance Company of Newark, with its modern white stone building occupying a prominent location of Park Place near the new subway station, was organized and began business in 1846, confining its operations to the State of New Jersey until 1873, when it gradually enlarged its borders and laid the foundation for its present extensive agencies, which cover nearly every State in the Union. At the present time more than 5000 loyal agents are writing American policies and contributing to the company's success.
The company insures against loss by fire, lightning, tornado, windstorm, and is about to add automobile;and now, in its 67th year, is better prepared than at any previous time to meet demands upon its resources.
The American, by resolution of the Board of Directors, pays all loss claims in cash immediately upon satisfactory adjustment, waiving the 60 days' discount provided for in the standard policy.
This company possesses to a marked degree the characteristics most essential to a reliable fire insurance company, viz: stability, integrity and permanency. It is among the first in rank among large, strong and important fire insurance companies of the world.
From: Rider's Newark 1916
Facing Military Park, at the corner of Park Street and Park Place is the American Insurance Building, containing at the entrance a pair of bronze doors, modeled by Andrew O'Connor, Jr.
The male figure on the right door represents Fire Under Control, here used as a torch to guide the footsteps of men; the female figure on the left upholding flowers and scattering others, symbolizes the up springing of new life after the devastation by fire.
|Copyright 1998 - 2017 Glenn G. Geisheimer|