March 14, 1909 - Award
Contract for Skyscraper
From: "Newark, the City of Industry" Published by the Newark Board of Trade 1912
To the business acumen of a sagacious and far-seeing management is due the fact that on the northeast side of Newark's historic "Four Corners," loftier in architectural prominence than most of its neighboring associates, stands the 16 story fire proof office building of white marble and steel construction owned by the Firemen's Insurance Company of Newark. The second and third floors are used by the company, the floors above are rented for office purposes while the ground floor is occupied as stores. There are three passenger elevators and one for carrying freight.
August 5, 1855, the historic period of the old Volunteer Fire Department, marks the exact time that the Firemen's Insurance Company of Newark was organized. It began operations on December 3rd of the same year, with a capital stock of $50,000, divided into shares of $10.00 each. Those shares had eager takers among the volunteer firemen, who comprised a large number of the leading citizens and business men of the city, and the student of municipal history will find that the first board of directors, 30 in number, was made up of volunteer firemen by a large majority.
To the directors who have made a success, financially, in whatever business or profession they have been engaged, much is due for the success of the Firemen's.
From: Rider's Newark 1916
At the northeast corner stands the new sixteen-story Firemen's Insurance Building. Note above the entrance "Fireman No. 2," a life size statue of a fire chief in uniform, trumpet in hand (erected 1910' Paul Wiehle, sculptor). "Fireman No. 1" was a wooden figure which for 32 years stood on the roof of the old building. On the south, or Market Street facade of the same building is a bronze tablet erected by the New Jersey Branch of the Sons of the Revolution, marking the route taken by Washington on his way from Philadelphia to Cambridge.
|Copyright 1998 - 2017 Glenn G. Geisheimer|