From: "Newark, the City of Industry" Published by the Newark Board of Trade 1912
The history of the organizaton and development of the Newark Fire Insurance Company is a most interesting one. For a considerable time there had been a demand for a local fire insurance compnay that would retain the insurance premiums at home and thus further local enterprise.
On November 4, 1811, a charter was granted the company by the New Jersey legislature. When the books were balanced, after the charter was granted, it was found that the funds on hand amounted to $2,626.51. For some time after incorporation, the "Eagle Side" of an American half-dollar was used as the seal of the Company. The directors met, for a number of years, in the office of President Munn, at first at 6 o'clock in the evening, and later on at 7 o'clock. The meetings were usually adjourned with prayer by the president or some other member of the board, and it is nteworthy that this original customwas regularly practiced until after the year 1900.
The Company's growth since the beginning of the present centruy has been remarkable. There has been no spasmodic development, but a persistent and very substantial increase, from year to year, in each of the principal items which contribute to the company's annual statement.
In 1867, the Company purchased the property at 741 & 743 Broad Street, and established its office there, where it remained until the first of the present year. In 1911 the Company took title to the site at 39-41 Clinton Street, and erercted thereon the handsome office building, to which its offices were removed early in January, 1912. There is a dignified solidity in the new Neark Fire Insurance Company's building that is in perfect harmony with the company which has taken up its permanent home within its walls. The base of the facade is polished granite, while the upper portion is white marble. The inerior of the building is trimmed with a marble base and ornamented side walls and ceiling, and is exceptionally well lighted from windows in the rear, which take up nearly the entire southern wall, and froma large skylight.
|Copyright 1998 - 2017 Glenn G. Geisheimer|