|Leather, Furs & Tanners Index|
From "Newark, the City of Industry" 1912:
In giving sketches of the representative business firms of Newark it gives us great pleasure to represent the company heading this sketch, which from the magnitude of its transactions, as well as the superiority of the goods made, has attracted much trade to this city. The growth of the city of Newark has not been greater than the growth of the above concern, which was established in 1860 by Noah F. Blanchard and his three brothers who were among the pioneers in the patent leather business in Newark, and the business has seen a steady increase since its inception, taking rank among the largest in the country. In 1881, upon the death of Noah F. Blanchard, the business was merged into the firm o Blanchard Bro. & Lane, and incorporated in 1887. It is now one of the leading houses in Newark, and its product finds sale in all parts of the world. Matthew T. Gay, who has been with the company nearly a half century, is president and his sons Joseph H. and Herbert S. Gay hold the positions of secretary and treasurer, Edward V. Z. Lane and Lenox S. Rose are vice-presidents, all of whom are well known men of high reputation in the leather world.
The company manufactures patent enameled and fancy colored leather for carriages, automobiles, shoe, furniture and saddlery trades. The plant covers nearly two city blocks, and is equipped throughout with modern and up-to-date machinery and appliances, and employment is given to 300 skilled men. The offices are located at 20 Bruen Street. The rapid growth of the automobile business has increased the demand for upholstering leathers, and today probably represents the largest outlet for this product.
|Copyright 1998 - 2017 Glenn G. Geisheimer|