|Leather, Furs & Tanners Index|
From "Newark, the Metropolis of New Jersey. at the Dawn of the 20th Century":
Mr. George Stengel is one of the oldest and most widely known tanners and manufacturers of high grade patent and enameled leather in this section of the country. He was born in Germany, the son and also the grandson of an expert tanner. His father, Christian Stengel, came to America in 1840 when George Stengel was only eighteen months old, and settling in Newark, the latter received his education in the schools of this city. Christian Stengel commenced the business in a small way at Academy and Norfolk streets in 1851, his son George practically grew up with the industry, in time became a partner with his father and when the founder died in 1875 continued the business on his own account. The trade expanded and the plant steadily grew in size and capacity -- the Boyd street tannery was built in 1891, No. 357 Halsey Street was added in 1892, works were built at Waverly in 1897 and the plants at Seventeenth Avenue and Lillie Street, and Meis & Egner's, on Seventeenth Avenue, were also added in 1898. The Dwyer Leather Company's establishment on Ferguson Street was added in 1899. The inconvenience of several widely separated locations caused the purchase of seventeen acres of ground at Waverly, just outside the city line, and eight new three-story buildings, one of them five hundred feet in length, and all others proportionally large, are now being erected there. When the new works are fully completed and equipped -- as they will be early in 1901 -- the entire business will be concentrated there and the plant will be one of the largest and most modern tanneries and leather manufactories in the United States.
The patent and enamel leather produced by Mr. Stengel is of the very highest grade and his trade is with the very finest carriage, furniture and shoe manufacturers in both America and Europe. At the close of the nineteenth century he gives employment to upward of two hundred men, but when the new works are put in operation in 1901, this force will be very largely increase.
When it is considered that his immense industry has practically been built up from a local plant in the past decade to one which now markets its product on two continents, it will be conceded that he who has controlled and managed it is entitled to the distinction of more than ordinary mention in these pages. He is certainly esteemed among his fellow citizens and in the fine leather trade as a man of men, a progressive spirit of the times and an authority on leather whose judgment none care to dispute.
|Copyright 1998 - 2017 Glenn G. Geisheimer|