August 23, 1908 - Lyric
Theatre Nears Completion at Market and Beaver Streets
The Lyric Theatre was built on land once occupied by the First Reformed Dutch Church. In 1838, the basement was occupied by the first school in the East Ward.
George W. Backoff & T. Cecil Hughes - Architects. The First Reformed Dutch Church was remodeled into the American Music Hall and then the Lyric Theatre. The interior was torn out and the side walls form the shell of the theatre and office building. The only other part that remained was the wall that divided the vestibule of the church from the interior. The facade was rebulit.
|Copyright 1998 - 2020 Glenn G. Geisheimer|