Unknown - At
Waldmann's Theatre (Opera House) was the first theatre erected in Newark (1853). It was owned by Fred Waldmann. The property was occupied in 1835 by the Volunteer Firemen of No. 5 Engine Company. Later it was occupied by Neptune Hose Company in 1849 and then by No. 1 Chemical Engine. The building opened as the Newark Theatre on October 25, 1853. Later the name was changed to Waller's Theatre and then to the Newark Opera House. It became a vaudville theatre in 1880. Sometime during the 1880's it became known as Fred Waldmann's Opera House and was run as a high-class vaudeville house. The property was bought by William A. Baker in 1902 and remodeled.
|Copyright 1998 - 2020 Glenn G. Geisheimer|