|Transportation Systems Index|
The New Jersey Railroad and Transportation Company (NJRR) was chartered on March 7, 1832. In November of that year it acquired the Newark Turnpike and on April 6, 1833 the Essex and Middlesex Turnpike was acquired. On November 24, 1833 the company purchased the business that controlled the bridges over the Passaic River. Service between Newark & Jersey City began on September 15, 1834. On December 21, 1835 service to Elizabeth began using the right of way of the Essex and Middlesex Turnpike.
The railroad entered Newark from East Newark using the Centre Street Bridge, then went along the Passaic River paralleling River Street then turned south using the bed of the Newark Turnpike where the current railroad exists.
On November 19, 1836, the NJRR began to carry Morris and Essex Railroad traffic from Newark to Jersey City.
February 1, 1867 saw the merger of the NJRR and the Camden and Ambory Railroad, forming the United New Jersey Railroad and Canal Companies (UNJ). The Pennsylvania Railroad leased the UNJ on May 15, 1871. On May 18, 1872 the UNJ merged with the Delaware and Raritan Canal Company forming the United New Jersey Railroad and Canal Company.
From the 1871 Newark City Directory:
Three trains leave Newark daily (Sundays excepted) for Baltimore, Washington and the South, and for the West via Baltimore.
The Great Southern Express leaves daily by evening train, and makes close connections for Augusta, Richmond, Atlanta, Memphis and New Orleans.
Three Western Express trains, via Pittsburgh, leave Newark daily (Sundays excepted) with through Silver Palace Cars to Louisville, Chicago and Cincinnati without change. On Sunday afternoon and evening, Express only.
Through tickets by a great variety of routs both first class and Emigrant, can be obtained and baggage checked through to destination at Market Street Depot.
|Copyright 1998 - 2019 Glenn G. Geisheimer|