|Transportation Systems Index|
On December 1, 1871 the Pennsylvania Railroad leased the United New Jersey Railroad and Canal Company bringing the Pennsylvania Railroad to Newark. The original tracks were ground level. In 1901 the tracks were raised to the current level. In 1935 the tracks were electrified. On February 1, 1968, the Pennsylvania Railroad merged with the New York Central Railroad to form the Penn Central Railroad.
1890 Newark City Directory:
Great Trunk Line and United States Mail Route. The favorite line between the East and the West, Northwest, South and Southwest.
Nineteen trains leave Newark for Philadelphia on week days, on Sundays, ten.
Nine Trains leave Newark for Baltimore, Washington and the South on week days, on Sundays, five to Washington, five to Baltimore.
Limited Express for Baltimore, Washington and the South, composed entirely of Pullman Parlor Cars, leaves Newark daily, except Sunday.
Three Western Express Trains, via Pittsburgh, leave Newark daily, with Parlor and Sleeping Cars, to Louisville, St. Louis, Chicago, Cincinnati, Memphis and New Orleans, without change.
Station Pictured Above:
The "new" passenger depot of the Pennsylvania Railroad at Market Street, Newark, N. J., designed under the direction of Mr. Wm. H. Brown, Chief Engineer, Penn. R. R., built in 1890 under the direction of Mr. E. F. Brooks, Engineer Maintenance of Way, P. R. R., to replace the old (original) building on the other side of the tracks, the two buildings being connected by a subway under the tracks. The buildings are built of dark-red brick, with brown stone trimmings, and the inside is finished in oak and light-colored woods.
The arrangement of the ground plan, and especially the successful design of the subway, so as to render this underground passageway as unobjectionable to passengers as possible.
|Copyright 1998 - 2018 Glenn G. Geisheimer|