From: Newark City Directory 1850/51
The books for subscription to the Capital Stock were opened on the 14th of April, 1846, and the requisite number of shares to ensure the completion of the works subscribed.
A contract was made on the 20th day of May, with Mr. Joseph Battin for the erection of works to supply forty thousand cubic feet of Gas per day, and lay four miles of main pipes for the distribution of the same. On the 25th of December, 1846, the manufacture of Gas was commenced and on the 5th of January, 1847, the main pipes were filled, the whole having been accomplished in the short space of eight months.
|Copyright 1998 - 2020 Glenn G. Geisheimer|