Essex Building

27 - 35 Clinton Street corner Beaver Street


Completed 1911

Architect- Peter Charles

Do you have a photo of this Building?
If so please email me.

Previous building was the First Congregational Church

Newspaper Articles

June 2, 1907 - Old Landmark That is to Make Room for Twelve-Story Office Building
March 20, 1910 - New Skyscraper to be Erected

The Essex Building, which is located on the corner of Clinton & Beaver Streets has a lot area of 107 by 120 feet.  The height of the building is 175 feet, and there are twelve stories and two basements.  The first story has a height of 18 feet.

The foundations are spread concrete footings of the usual type, which bear upon sand sub-soil. The column shoes are built up of steel plates and rest upon grillage which spreads the load over the concrete footings.  The steel frame is built of Bethlehem sections for columns, girders and beams, and all are of the short span construction.  The column fireproofing is of terra-cotta and the floor system is reinforced concrete construction with cinder concrete fill.

The exterior materials are a shallow granite base and elaborately cut limestone for the first four stories.  The walls from the fourth to the ninth stories are faced with pressed brick trimmed with light terra-cotta.  The tenth to the twelfth stories and the cornice are of ornamental terra-cotta, mat-glazed.

The windows on the three street sides of the building have wood frames and sash with ordinary glass.  On the side overlooking the adjoining property, the windows are kalameined and glazed with wire-glass.  The partitions throughout are constructed of 3 and 4 inch plaster blocks, except those of the elevator shafts in which terra-cotta blocks are used.  The flooring throughout the offices is of wood, and the interior trim and doors are of oak.

The entrance hallways are walled with white marble and have marble floors and ornamental plaster ceilings.  There are two revolving doors in the Clinton Street entrance and one in the Beaver Street entrance.  The upper halls have marbles bases, tile floors and hard plaster walls.  The single stair is open but of steel construction with marble threads.  The elevator shaft is enclosed with ornamental iron doors with wire-glass panels.  There are five Otis elevators.  There are no fire-escapes.

The fire-protective equipment consists of two riser pipes with hose and reel on every floor.  Beside this there are chemical hand extinguishers and fire alarm boxes on every floor.  The roofing is composition and slag.  The live load on the floors is 150 pounds to the square foot.  The stated cost of the building is $750,000.

The fireproof windows were supplied by S. H. Pomeroy Company, Inc., and the window hardware was supplied by Frank F. Smith Metal Window Hardware Company. The interior marble was supplied by Maxwell & Dempsey. Inc.

From: "Newark, the City of Industry" Published by the Newark Board of Trade 1912

The Union Building Company, the owners of the "Essex" and "Union" Buildings, which are considered the two finest office buildings in the city of Newark, has been the means of giving to a large Metropolis like Newark the very best in office buildings and has been rewarded by having in its office buildings, as tenants, concerns of the highest standing. In conducting the policy of these buildings the important things that they considered were cleanliness and perfect service, and it is the comment of all who have occasion to enter these buildings that these two features predominate. One must not nevertheless be misled in the thought that aside from these features nothing else is taken in consideration, for as a matter of fact the comfort of the tenant in his own office is an essential feature on their part, and by their systematic method of inspection the rooms are painted, floors varnished, radiators bronzed, electric lights renewed and a multitude of minor details attended to which are conducive to comfort on the part of the tenant and harmony as related to the owners.

Naturally a reason must be given for the continual expenditure of time and money for the comfort of the tenant, and that is easily explained in view of the fact that the Union Building Company, who are owners of these buildings are also the managers, and it is only natural that when a complaint is brought to the notice of the owner, it receives immediate attention, be it a minor repair or one involving a large expenditure of money.

The Union Building, which is ten stories high, was erected six years ago, and the Essex Building, twelve stories high, which was recently completed, are buildings which are fireproof and modern in every respect. The offices are large and admirably adapted to lawyers, fir insurance brokers, architects, and a multitude of professional and commercial lines.

The Union Building Company, of which Morris Rachlin is president, Louis Schlesinger, vice-president and treasurer, and I. J. Rachlin, secretary, have been the means of giving to Newark buildings which have not only changed the sky line but have revolutionized the residential ideas of a great number of its citizens. While the company itself is but seven years in existence, nevertheless its officers had long before that been factors in the real estate doings of the community. Morris Rachlin, the president of the company, has been actively engaged in the construction of buildings for the past twenty-five years, and his efforts and supervision have been an essential feature in the accomplishments of the company. Louis Schlesinger, the vice-president-treasurer of the company,has been in the real estate and insurance business in Newark all his life, and his corporate and general management of the company has been one of the essential factors of its success.

The Union Building Company represents the best in building construction, and does not confine itself to certain kinds of building operations, but has practically developed the entire field, from residences to 12 story office buildings.