|Transportation Systems Index|
August 12, 1906 - Forrest
Hill Residents Score Erie Railroad
On October 17, 1960, the Erie Railroad merged with the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad to become the Erie Lackawanna Railroad.
From the 1874 Newark City Directory:
Short line between Newark and New York and the most comfortable and direct route to all parts of the West.
From "Newark and Its Leading Businessmen" 1891
The Erie Railroad reaches Newark by way of the Newark and Paterson Railroad, which it practically owns. Its depots are at the foot of Fourth Avenue, At Chester Avenue and in Woodside. This road affords accommodation to a large number of people in the northern part of the city, as does the New York and Greenwood Lake Railroad which extends from Greenwood Lake to Jersey City, a distance of over fifty miles. This road and its Orange branch, enter the city at its extreme northern boundary.
|Copyright 1998 - 2021 Glenn G. Geisheimer|