Newark's Manufacturers

Old Newark


This photo was taken around 1897 and most likely from the roof of Feigenspan's Brewery on Freeman Street. The view is to the west northwest. The large chimney in the center of the photo is from the P. Reilly & Sons Tannery which was located between Providence & Lexington Streets. The factory area extended from the Morris Canal south almost to Bowery Street (Fleming Avenue) which would be the middle of the photograph, left to right. The first street from the bottom running L to R is Oxford Street.

Photo from Essex County Illustrated 1897

preillyandson02.jpg priellyandson01.gif