Horse Car Railroads
The pioneers in street car traffic were the Orange and Newark
Horse Car Railroad Company, who obtained a charter from the Legislature
in 1859. This road had its origin in the dissatisfaction which was felt
among the people of the Oranges at the wretched management of the old
Morris and Essex Railroad.
The owners of the new horse car company decided to construct a line from
Orange to the Market Street Depot, which would enable the residents of
Orange to avail themselves of the facilities offered by the New Jersey
Railroad and Transportation Company (Pennsylvania Railroad). Lawsuits
were filed against this proposal by business owners on Market Street.
In December 1860 the courts ruled in favor of the Horse Car Railroad.
The outbreak of the Civil War delayed the start of the project until the
spring of 1862. The first track was laid through Market, Bank and Warren
Streets to Roseville (today that path is known as West Market Street).
Soon Orange was connected to the Market Street Train Depot.
A number of other Horse Car Railroad lines sprung up serving Elizabeth,
Irvington, South Orange, Montclair & Bloomfield. In 1890 a Philadelphia
syndicate took control of all the street car lines in Newark with the
exception of the South Orange Line and consolidated them under the title
of the Newark Passenger Railway Company. During the late 1880's, electrification
of the horse cars began.