|Transportation Systems Index|
From Streetcars of New Jersey: Metropolitan Northeast
The Newark & South Orange Horse Car RR was consolidated with the Ferry Street & Hamburgh Place Ry on April 12, 1892, as the Newark & South Orange Ry with John Radel as president. The lines were combined. The route began at Ferry Street and went via Market Street and South Orange Avenue to South Orange. The route was eight miles in length. The Newark & South Orange Ry was entered upon by the North Jersey Street Ry on June 10, 1898 and was merged into the Public Service Ry on October 2, 1907.
From "Newark and Its Leading Businessmen" 1891
The Newark and South Orange Horse Railroad was started in the spring of 1868 and passed through a series of financial disasters. The road was sold at sheriff's sale, and was bought by a company of which Mr. John Radel is president, he and his sons holding almost all the stock. Since Mr. Radel has controlled the road he has made many improvements in it, has serveral times extended its lines, and has made it one of th ebets paying, as well as one of the most efficient street railroads in the country.
|Copyright 1998 - 2021 Glenn G. Geisheimer|