|Transportation Systems Index|
Stations & Freight Yards
March 29, 1885 - Extensive
On December 1, 1871 the Pennsylvania Railroad leased the United New Jersey Railroad and Canal Company bringing the Pennsylvania Railroad to Newark. The original tracks were ground level. In 1901 the tracks were raised to the current level. In 1935 the tracks were electrified. On February 1, 1968, the Pennsylvania Railroad merged with the New York Central Railroad to form the Penn Central Railroad.
1890 Newark City Directory:
Great Trunk Line and United States Mail Route. The favorite line between the East and the West, Northwest, South and Southwest.
Nineteen trains leave Newark for Philadelphia on week days, on Sundays, ten.
Nine Trains leave Newark for Baltimore, Washington and the South on week days, on Sundays, five to Washington, five to Baltimore.
Limited Express for Baltimore, Washington and the South, composed entirely of Pullman Parlor Cars, leaves Newark daily, except Sunday.
Three Western Express Trains, via Pittsburgh, leave Newark daily, with Parlor and Sleeping Cars, to Louisville, St. Louis, Chicago, Cincinnati, Memphis and New Orleans, without change.
From Philip Donnelly:
Until 1892 all PRR trains, passenger and freight operated through Newark to Jersey City on two tracks at grade level with many road crossings. In 1892 the PRR built a freight bypass, the Waverly and Passaic branch, from the main line at McClelland St. (aka Neck Lane) to Kearney. In 1902 decided to elevate the tracks through Newark and adding two more tracks. The picture looking east, probably taken from the CNJ bridge, shows the original 2 track main with the market Street passenger station and Alling St. freight house. Alongside the in service main can be seen the stonework for the new elevation.
|Copyright 1998 - 2021 Glenn G. Geisheimer|